There’s a rough cold that’s tearing through our house right now that’s affecting my step-daughter and I a ton. And one savior for our rough sore throats is my Ginger Tea.
I’ve made this stuff for years but until I had children I never realized how quickly it works! I know there’s a ton of people out there with a distaste for ginger like my Husband but this stuff is actually really GOOD and works like a CHARM!
Magical Ginger Tea
1. I use about 1 smallish ginger root per cup of tea. Grate until finely minced (I like mine STRONG so it clears the sore throat and upset tummy! You can switch to 1/2 root per cup if you’d like 🙂 )
2. I usually use the mug I’m using to measure out the amount of water I need and then pour it into a mini-pot.
3. Get the water boiling and throw in the ginger root. Allow the ginger root to steep for around 4-5 minutes. Then strain into mug (The finer the better so you don’t get chunks of ginger in there.. Even though I like mine like that 😉 )
4. Add honey, a little lemon slice (Optional 😉 ) and stir – Drink as soon as temp is tolerable. The warmer the tea the better it feels on your throat!
5. Enjoy!! It’s delicious, good for you AND helpful for some of those pesky cold symptoms.
As I’m sure some of you have seen I’ve been really struggling lately with extreme fatigue. I was very concerned as no Doctor could figure out the reasonings. Rest was their recommendation. Well I’d been resting a TON because I literally couldn’t keep my eyes OPEN. I knew it wasn’t rest as I felt worse than I’d never felt before. Something was wrong.
TRUST your body. You know what feels normal. After repeated attempts of not being able to find an answer I decided to figure it out myself. I looked up what could possibly be going on (I know.. The internet can be a terrible resource) and after seeing all my symptoms on almost EVERY illness out there I freaked out. But little by little cancelled out each one I knew it couldn’t be.
I finally stumbled upon Vitamin Deficiencies (In the beginning I thought it was an Iron deficiency but it came up normal in lab results) and Vitamin C sounded like it checked ALL of the boxes. Great! I had SCURVY haha! SO I asked my Husband to swing by the store for some Vitamin C tablets on his way home from work so I could try it out. He was sweet and got me Vitamin C AND E because they were BOGO ❥
Since we’d been to Louisiana in May I’ve been really off the wagon with all of my smoothies, constant fruit, lemon water, etc. To rule out whether it was Vitamin C or not I began taking the vitamins daily and drank nothing but lemon water. After a few weeks I slowly began to feel my energy increasing and my need to rest was dissipating. Then I knew.. I had scurvy! ☠
It took myself knowing my body well enough to know I wasn’t feeling right and because I wasn’t getting the answers from my Doctors, I had do it myself and I did. I’m still (rarely) having symptoms of the deficiency but I’m slowly getting back to myself and it feels great. Soon I’ll be able to workout regularly again and just feel like myself!
Moral of the story – TRUST your gut feelings and help yourself heal! Also, eat HEALTHY. This has been a wake-up call to get back into my strict Paleo eating. Oh, and DRINK LEMON WATER. IT’S AMAZING! 🍋